American flags and vote pins

The nomination period for the upcoming election opened up on July 13. For west county, that means that folks looking to run for a variety of boards — including school board, fire district boards and city council — are able to throw their hat into the ring to be placed on the Nov. 3 ballot. The nomination period is open until Friday, Aug. 7.

In west county, the following seats are available. Unless otherwise noted, each seat is for a four-year term:

School district boards

  • West Sonoma County Union High School District (two seats)
  • Forestville Union School District (two seats)
  • Guerneville School District (two seats)
  • Gravenstein Union School District (three seats, one a two-year term)
  • Harmony Union School District (two seats)
  • Oak Grove Union School District (three seats, one a two-year term)
  • Monte Rio Union School District (three seats, one a two-year term)
  • Sebastopol Union School District (four seats, two are two-year terms)
  • Twin Hills Union School Districts (two seats)

City council

Community services district

  • Cazadero Community Services District (three seats)

Fire protection districts

  • Bodega Bay Fire Protection District (two seats)
  • Forestville Fire Protection District (three seats)
  • Gold Ridge Fire Protection District (three seats)
  • Graton Fire Protection District (three seats)
  • Monte Rio Fire Protection District (two seats)
  • Timber Cove Fire Protection District (two seats, one a two-year term)

Health care district

  • Palm Drive Health Care District (three seats)

Those interested in running for any of the available seats must be a resident of the district they’re interested in. 

Per county guidelines, candidates for school board must be 18 years of age or older; be a registered voter; be a resident of the school district or trustee area; not be disqualified by the Constitution or state laws from holding office; and not have been convicted of a felony involving accepting or giving, or offering to give, any bribe, the embezzlement of public money, extortion or theft of public money, perjury or conspiracy to commit any of those crimes, or for being an official interested in contracts, or becoming a vendor or purchaser at sales, or purchasing scrip of other evidences of indebtedness, in which the official has financial interest.

All candidates for local, non-city council seats can obtain and file nomination papers with the Sonoma County Registrar of Voters, located at 435 Fiscal Drive in Santa Rosa. Due to COVID-19, in-person operation hours of the office are reduced, so the county recommends that those interested in becoming a candidate call 707-565-6800 or email to schedule an appointment. Additional information from the county about elections can be found here.

Many local municipalities, including the County of Sonoma, are currently working on deciding what measures to put on the November ballot. The ballot measures will be finalized Aug. 7. 

(3) comments

Richard Power

There are no seats open for Palm Drive as to November because it will be dissolved as of August 5.


Anyone considering a run for city council should watch the League of Women Voters of Sonoma County video "How to Run for City Council". It includes a panel of current and recent city council members. Check out our website.


The Palm Drive Health District should be dissolved by the end of August.

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.