Farm Bureau

The Sonoma County Farm Bureau is trying to provide assistance for agricultural producers affected by the Kincade Fire. They are providing guidance and funding for those experiencing losses as they navigate their way through the post-fire experience.

They have set up a GoFundMe page for a Kincade Fire relief fund, and American AgCredit has offered up to $25,000 in matching funds. In addition, they have set up a separate GoFundMe for the LaFranchi family whose 127-year-old Oak Ridge Angus Ranch in Alexander Valley was decimated by the fire.

As of Oct. 31, the fire relief fund had raised $8,890. To donate, click here.

The Oak Ridge Angus Ranch-LaFranchi Family Relief Fund had raised $32,970. To donate, click here.

The farm bureau has also created a list of USDA Farm Service Agency Disaster Assistance Programs and a list of local resources. In addition, it is looking for information on affected producers and those who may be able to provide additional assistance.

The bureau is looking for confirmed names, contact information and description of losses/impact for individuals/employees in the agricultural community who have lost property and small farmers who lost revenue.

The bureau is also looking for people who could provide long-term shelter — up to two months — for livestock and horses as well as financial support for hay, feed and other livestock supplies and anyone able to volunteer in helping the community rebuild fences, clean up and more.

“We know that the Kincade Fire created widespread and lasting damages within our agricultural community,” the Sonoma County Farm Bureau said in a statement. “Here at Farm Bureau we are working to compile resources necessary for recovery.”

Anyone either in need of assistance or with help to offer should email Farmers and ranchers in need of help can call 707-544-5575 or those in emergency situations can contact Tawny Tesconi at 707-480-6947 or email

To see everything being offered by the Farm Bureau, go to

Resources for farmers

The Sonoma County Farm Bureau is offering the following list of resources to assist in fire recovery.


In 2017 the Farm Service Agency was listed to offer various types of support to affected farmers, such as:

  • Emergency Loan Program (EM) (this is a loan with interest)
  • Livestock Indemnity Program (LIP) (loss of animals)
  • Emergency Conservation Program (ECP) (debris removal/fence replacement/ drip, above ground pipeline, tanks)
  • Tree Assistance Program (TAP) (cost share to help replant trees or vines)
  • Emergency Assistance for Livestock Program (ELAP). (Pasture losses, stored feed losses including honey bees and fish farm losses)
  • Wildfire Hurricane Indemnity Program + (WHIP+) (tree & vine losses, production losses for insured crops)

Farm Service Agency Disaster Assistance Programs

  • Livestock Forage Program (LFP): LFP provides compensation to eligible livestock producers that have suffered grazing losses due to drought or fire on land that is native or improved pastureland with permanent vegetative cover or that is planted specifically for grazing. 
  • Livestock Indemnity Program (LIP): LIP provides benefits to livestock producers for livestock deaths in excess of normal mortality caused by adverse weather or by attacks by animals reintroduced into the wild by the federal government.
  • Emergency Assistance for Livestock, Honeybees and Farm-Raised Fish (ELAP): ELAP provides emergency assistance to eligible producers of livestock, honeybees and farm-raised fish for losses due to disease (including cattle tick fever), adverse weather, or other conditions, such as blizzards and wildfires, not covered by LFP and LIP.  
  •  Tree Assistance Program (TAP): TAP provides financial assistance to qualifying orchardists and nursery tree growers to replant or rehabilitate eligible trees, bushes, and vines damaged by natural disasters. 
  • Click here to view the Farm Service Agency Disaster Assistance Program at a Glance.

Loans for losses to crops, trees, livestock, farm land and farm property

  • The Emergency Loan Program provides loans to help producers recover from production and physical losses due to drought, flooding, other natural disasters, or quarantine. The Disaster Set-Aside Program provides producers who have existing direct loans with FSA who are unable to make the scheduled payments to move up to one full year’s payment to the end of the loan. Assistance is available in counties, or contiguous counties, who have been designated as emergencies by the president, secretary or FSA administrator.

Farmland damage

The Emergency Conservation Program (ECP) provides assistance to producers if their land was damaged by a natural disaster and needs conservation practices.

  • The Sonoma Resource Conservation District is available to provide technical assistance site visits. Staff will meet with the landowner at their property and provide advice on natural resource issues such as post-fire erosion or damage to trees and forests. Contact: Shannon Drew,, 707-569-1448 ext. 110.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.